Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas time & stitching update

It's been forever and a day since I updated my lil' blog here.  :0)  I've got a lot going on around here, so I'll get straight to the sharing.  It is, of course, Christmas time.  I've had Christmas music playing since late October.  Yes, I am one of those people.  I keep the music very traditional.  Mostly selections from the 1940s and 1950s.  I don't care much for the contemporary music.  I kept our decorations much simpler this year than in years past.  I didn't want to have to dread the day after Christmas with so much to pack away.  So we put up our tree and only a couple of other things in the living room.  I put my Christmas curtains up and just a couple of decorations in the kitchen.  Nice and simple, but still festive enough.

It is also time for Christmas goodies!  ~~ Lots of chocolate this year.  (wink)  I've already made the homemade peppermint patties, Peppermint patty cake, German Chocolate Fudge, and in the next couple of days will churn out some Oreo cake balls and Christmas toffee.  The peppermint patties I've been making every Christmas for 8 or 9 years now.  The German Chocolate fudge is an old family recipe.

Tomorrow is Christmas Sunday and I always make sure the kids have a new outfit for church on Christmas Sunday.  :0)  It seems we are all - unintentionally - going to coordinate in red and black in the morning. 

Now, something else going on - that is taking up much of my free time and I'm **really** excited about is my stitching.  I know I've talked on the blog before about my cross stitching.  Well, my stitching bug is in overdrive these days!  I'm actively involved in stitching for 2 separate charities right now in addition to my own personal projects.  One of the charities takes squares stitched up by cross stitchers and puts them together into quilts for sick children.  I am currently working on a square for a young girl.  Each child gets to choose the theme for their quilt and she wanted realistic looking horses on hers.  So I'm stitching up a horse for a square for her quilt.  Not quite finished yet, but it will be soon.


In addition to this, I'm also stitching with a charity that will take the cross stitched squares to make memorial quilts for the Sandy Hook victims (which will go to the family members), those who were the first responders to the scene, and a memorial banner for the school (which will be given to the town.)  So far I'm working on 3 squares to go towards the Sandy Hook charity and may end up doing a 4th before I'm done.  I feel so good to be stitching for these charities.  It's nice to be able to use my stitching to hopefully bring a smile or some comfort to others.

I also have some personal stitching goals for the coming year.  I'm going to start my very first HAED.  (Heaven and Earth Design)  I've been wanting to start one for a year but have kept putting it off because they are such big undertakings.  But I just can't wait any longer and I'm super excited to commit myself to working on one this next year.  I have four HAED patterns and I sat down with my daughter one day and she helped me choose which one to do as my first.  We chose Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim.  I honestly don't know if I can get it done by Christmas next, but wouldn't that be wonderful if I did?  I'll try to shoot for that...but at the same time, it's probably doubtful I can get it done that fast.  I'm planning a shopping trip next Friday to get all of my threads and material for the project.  I'm very excited!!

I have two other large (though not nearly as large as a HAED) projects already under way that I will work in a rotation during the year.  Maggie the Messmaker and Swan Love.  I have both of them about a quarter of the way done.  I'm fairly certain I can finish them both in 2013.  In addition to all of that, my daughter found a pretty large Pooh and Piglet pattern she wants on a pillowcase.  I'll use soluble or waste canvas for it.  I've never used that before, so it will be a new undertaking.  And yes, my 16 year old daughter still loves Pooh bear and Piglet.  :0)

My needles are seriously going to be flying next year and I love every minute of it!

1 comment:

Delisa said...

Hi Mrs V! Thank you for stopping by and joining my blog, it is so nice to meet you. You have a beautiful blog. I really enjoy stitching too. My favorite is needlepoint. I love cross stitch but it is a little hard for me to see. I just finished working on a large canvas with bright orange and red poppies. I have a friend who is going to make it into a pillow for me. I also love to knit and crochet. I am working on a hat and glove set right now. I hope you have a lovely and peaceful sunday morning! Happy Stitching. Delisa :)