Friday, May 2, 2008

Study to show thyself approved

I have a tendency to lie in bed at night and pray what is usually my longest prayer of the day. I suppose that is due to the quietness and calmness that the night brings. With a family to take care of, the daylight hours are not always quiet and calm. But in a good way, of course.

Last night as I was praying I realized I had not once cracked open my Bible during the day. I asked the Lord's forgiveness for this...and then a thought occurred to me. (The Holy Spirit's gentle nudging perhaps?) The thought was this ~*~ do we, as Christians who profess to take the Word of the Lord literally, take II Timothy 2:15 as a command...or mearly a suggestion?

II Tim. 2:15
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

It was like a light bulb went off in my head! I truly believe that so many of us (myself included, obviously) have simply not taken this verse seriously enough! This was not God saying through the inspired writer ~*~ it might be a good thing if you read your Bible every now and then ~*~ or ~*~ make sure you bring your Bible to the worship service, and if it's not too much trouble, take it in the house instead of leaving it in the car so maybe you can read it a few times this week. No! It says in no uncertain terms - Study your Bible! Not read, STUDY. Do you see the difference there?

So many people come to a place where they know they do have Bible knowledge. They are well versed. I'm not arguing that. But does that negate the command we are given in II Timothy? Certainly not!

I remember when I was a small child there was a very old man who attended our church. He said something one day that no one in my family ever forgot and we often repeated it to each other. The conversation at the time had something to do with higher education I believe. He said that you can graduate and get a diploma in whatever you wanted to in this life, but you could never get to the point of graduation from the Bible. So true.

I must say that although Bible study has always been important to me, I now have a renewed vigor and commitment to live II Timothy 2:15 every day. No excuses, no I don't have time, no I don't feel goods allowed!

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." ---- It's NOT a suggestion! It's a command given by God to us!

Ask yourself how you have treated this verse. As a suggestion? Or as a command?

3 comments:

Domestically Inclined said...

Thanks V!
It is sooo good to hear from the Lord, His still small voice! It truly is a command in my life and I fall short of it as others do. WIth verse by verse teaching, precept upon precept, line upon line, the responsibility of the Word of God is tremendous on a believer. When it takes hold of our lives we cannot stand a moment of distance between us and our Lord. As Paul says, I am DETERMINED to know nothing among you save Jesus Christ and him crucified! It's all about Jesus!
Thanks for the encouragement for today! DI~

very CALM said...

Very good post! We so easily forget that faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. I agree on the importance of study, which takes lots of time and effort, but that is the only way to know the One we love . . . spending time and studying Him, and not just the parts we like but all of His Word. Truly, He blesses our earnest desire to know Him.

Anonymous said...

I think that sometimes if you feel overwhelmed by all there is to study, you should read a very small passage, ideally early in the day, and then reflect on what you've read, for the rest of the day, whilst your going about your daily tasks. I think it can be a good idea also, to open the bible at random and see where God has lead you, read where your eye falls, because on this occasion that's what God wants you to think about.