Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sacred Work in our Holy Home


Welcome to my home on the web. It is my wish here to find some like-minded women who value their homes and families and who strive to have a rich home life. Also to help those who may not understand this lifestyle choice see the value in being the hand that rocks the cradle and the one who serves the meals.

A house is not a home until someone ties heartstrings to the detailed tasks of the day. These are not merely mundane chores, they are the things that make up the memories of the next generation! Did you know that your home is a holy place? Within those four walls and underneath that roof is a ministry that the Lord has given to *you*. No one else is qualified to be the wife in your home. No one else is qualified to be the mother in your home. No one else is qualified to set the atmosphere there as you can. Yes, your home is a holy place ladies.

It is very important to me that I try my best to set a certain mood...tone if you will, in our home. It is the biggest compliment to me when someone describes our place as homey. I don't want showy, expensive or the best. I want my home to be a comfortable place full of all the domesticities that I can muster. I like home cooked meals and rooms with soft light. Kittens curled up, dogs lazily showing you their bellies and children's laughter. Vegetables and flowers growing outside and lots of houseplants inside. Sunday dinners with lace tablecloths. These are the things of which memories are made, traditions handed down and families made strong.

Please don't fall into the mental trap of life being one mundane chore after another. Quiet pleasures do not simply happen! They do not fall out of the sky for our delight. But they require someone to roll up their sleeves and do the work (yes, it is work, but it's *holy* work) that is required to make life a pleasure. I have a friend who has beautiful (and many) houseplants. She also creates beautiful things for her home by cross stitching or embroidering. She told me that it makes her sad to look around at the other apartments in her complex because hers is the only one with any plants outside. She has gotten many comments from people that her plants or her handwork is beautiful ~ but that they simply do not have the time to spend on such things.

Ladies, if the quiet pleasures of life are to be attended to, make no mistake the time has to *be made* for them. They will never simply appear. Mental priorities must be made. Now I'm not saying you have to grow beautiful plants or engage in needlework. (Although these are wonderful endeavors that can bring much happiness.) But in your minds eye, whatever it is that transforms a mere *house* into a *home* will be something that will require work. Sacred work for your holy home. Endeavors that will both please the Lord, your family and yourself. Beautiful, quiet pleasures. These are the things of which a noble life is made!

9 comments:

HisBeloved said...

You have a lovely site and I look forward to reading more of your blogs. They are so encouraging! Would you mind if I put your site on my blogroll? You can find my site at: hisbelovedblog.blogspot.com

God Bless!

Mrs. V. said...

Yes, it's just fine if you link to me. May I do the same as well?

HisBeloved said...

Of course! I've been trying to leave you this comment for what seems like weeks. I just hope it will work today!

Mrs. V. said...

Oh, I'm sorry you had problems. Perhaps it was something with Blogger as everything has looked fine on this end. I'm glad whatever it was got worked out!

Daughter of the King said...

This is a excellant post.
I am having a very enjoyable time reading your blog this morning, blinds open, my tiffany lamp on....
Deby

Jenn said...

Beautiful thoughts, thank you for sharing them =)

Shelley said...

I agree...blessings
Love the picture!

Heather @ Sneakers Of Faith said...

I love this post! I am about to be married (8 more weeks!) and am so very excited to be my husband's help meet!

I think I'll bookmark this post & I am definitely going to follow you!

Have a blessed day!

Mrs. V. said...

Shelley, I *love* that picture as well. It is one of my favorites!

Heather ~ congratulations on your impending marriage! I'm so glad you found something here that was inspiring to you. That is why I started this blog and continue on with it. Thank you for your kind words!