Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Home & Hearth

During the course of my internet wanderings the past week I have come across many, many articles, web pages, comments, etc. that treat women whose focus is the home and hearth with contempt. After stumbling across a handful of such places I started searching in earnest for other sites that would even out the scales. I was quite disappointed.

It seems that modern society (especially the so-called liberated females) are set on making a laughing stock out of traditional family roles. On one site I visited, I initially thought I had found a like minded lady. Her blog had a vintage 1950's theme and it's contents centered on cooking and organizing her home. "Wonderful!" I thought. Until I took a closer look at her page. Yes, it was full of recipes and housekeeping advice, but in the section that housed her profile information...well, I can't repeat it here but suffice it to say she was literally cursing "Suzy Homemaker." Saying that although she had this page to help herself stay organized, she in no way wanted to be lumped into the catagory of a traditional, conservative wife and mother.
In other places I found sweet vintage pictures of housewives attending to their homes but the caption would read, "A clean house is a sign of a wasted life." Such a disappointment.

I really did think that if I dug deep enough into the cyber world, I would find more pages like Homeliving (in my sidebar.) But the further I dug, the more derogatory the mood became toward those that would hold the home up in high esteem.

It seems that the majority of our society has forgotten the old adage: the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. It seems unbelievably short sighted to me. Our world will be paying the piper in the coming generations. I suppose we already are, hence that backlash against Biblical femininity.

I do not profess to know another person's heart. But I truly believe that the reason some women kick against the pricks of traditional roles is that they feel guilty. Because in their heart of hearts, they know it to be the good and right way. But they have filled their lives so full of things that are the very antithesis of a traditional role and these things have taken over their life. If they admit to themselves that they were wrong, major life shifts would have to occur. Perhaps a great deal of money from their job would have to be sacrificed. Material pleasures would not be as easily acquired.

And so in order to make themselves feel better about the choices they have made, the choices now running their life instead of the other way around, they need to ridicule and laugh and berrate those of us who have chosen the more traditional path. Like a child that has not gotten his way.

If the mindset of our current society does not take turn, then may the good Lord have mercy on us all. We shall truly need it.

4 comments:

Domestically Inclined said...

Amen, Lord have mercy, please. Interesting how this was laid on our hearts at the same time and how the Holy Sirit works isn't it?

Sharon said...

What a lovely, encouraging site you have. I'll be back to visit often!!

Melissa said...

I'm so glad I found you!

Many Blessings,
Melissa

the kings daughter said...

Amen ! I too have seen these web sights . The women sound so hurt and angry. Growing up I was afraid to say I "want to be a mommy" when people would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up. To others it wasn't enough. But I'm not following others!